Sunday, May 25, 2008

ARE U A PUNJABI ?????



This is a question that about more than 50 people must have asked me. And the thing is I am not a Punjabi. The first one happened when I was in my 12th standard tuitions class where the sir once asked : are u a Punjabi , I said no. When I told this thing to mom at home she laughed a lot.

Time passed and this is the question that was raised to me every now and then, slowly I got used to this and simply laughed when ever people asked me. But once, during my computer class, one of my batch mates told me, “ hey are you a sindhi? “And gosh !!! , I didn’t know what to say, I laughed out loud, not on the question asked by her, but on the fact that now from “Punjabi” the change came over as me looking like a “sindhi”.

On one such case, someone asked me “are you a punjabi?”. I just plainly said no. But this did not satisfy the person’s curiosity which made her ask me that : atleast your mom or dad must be a Punjabi, I was so much amused that the lady made me a mixed breed girl.

It is certainly no fault of these people, I do look like a Punjabi and the fact that most of the times, my work askes me to speak Hindi and english often which makes few people sure that I am a Punjabi.
Anyway, gradually I started to take the question as a compliment, as Punjabi girls are very beautiful with sharp features. Now I have no issues with the people calling me Punjabi. At least I don’t look like the typical girls like my state.

7 comments:

wildflower said...

so wherz it that ur frm?

shex said...

affirmative i want to ask the same question

btw: glad you are nt a punjabi

my inner world said...

@ wild flower

welcome here !

well i m a gujarati

my inner world said...

@ shex

i'd like to know why are u glad that i m not a punjabi????

Abhinav Viswambharan said...

"atleast your mom or dad must be a Punjabi, I was so much amused that the lady made me a mixed breed girl."

LOL... :D

Oye soni kudi...kem cho? maja ma cho? :P

my inner world said...

@ abhinav

ekdum majama chu, tu kem che ???

hahhaa

pPuNj... said...

LOL...
I am Coincidently also asked the same question !!
But thats because use of my name not my looks...