The thought that I probably might have been a good psychiatrist had been in my mind since long now. Because I read and understand people’s mind very easily. Few days ago had discussed the subject on the dinner table at home when my uncle told me that “ beta, we had a dream that you would become a doctor, when you were a kid in school, because you were very good in studies and were very dedicated”. To which I said that being a doctor was not possible as I hate blood shed and also couldn’t score that good in science and maths in my higher standards. But I said I could have become a psychiatrist easily because most of the times I play the role of an agony aunt to many of them around me, to this my mom too agreed.
Today all of a sudden one of my students told me (after listening as to how I sort of gave a small counseling to the other student) “mam it seems you are doing the job of a psychiatrist”. Hearing the comment I was surprised a bit not because he called me a psychiatrist but because, it really seemed to others too that I could really been a good psychiatrist, if I would have been one. The comment or the compliment really gave me happiness.
Today I realized that I actually understand and read people’s mind quite easily and just from a single glance I can make out up to quite an extent the kind of person he/she is or what is running in their minds. Sometimes I also predict the questions that students will ask me now. When ever they feel low or are discouraged by their average or dull performance, I try to cheer them up and give them a lot of confidence. Sometimes I even know that they aren’t going to do well but still a little more confidence and talk with them will boost their morale and that is what works eventually.
The first and the most foremost thing a psychiatrist needs to have is a very good ear and patience, both of which I have in abundance. People say that I am a very good listener and I guess that is what that helps me a lot. Today, I find that all the people are interested in talking and talking, no one wants to listen. I just can not digest the fact that when the person opposite to you is talking, how can you not listen to them.
I now recall that I have done a lot of counseling unknowingly when my colleagues were feeling low or had any personal issues they would come and pour down their agonies to which I would patiently listen and if possible would offer a solution. Don’t know what the professional psychiatrist do to make people feel better. But one thing is for sure that whether or not they listen and implement my solution or advice but just the fact that someone is there to listen to them makes them feel better a thousand times.
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Yet again a simple but beautiful post from you. :)
Even your posts and comments draw the picture of a person, with an ear to listen and a heart to care for others.
Another aspect that I like about you is your being a teacher. As I had once commented in one of your previous posts, a teacher becomes successful only when he/she gets down to the level of the student, and tries to see the world through their eyes.
To a considerable level of certainty I can say that, your students are lucky to have got you. For that matter, everyone close to you is lucky to have got you. Because as they say, today everyone has time just to talk, talk and talk, but no time to listen. :)
Well, enough of maska-marring.
Madam...Madam, with the exam season going on, kindly be considerate in giving marks to your students. This a humble request from an ex-student :P
abhinav
thanks a tonne for praising my blog and thanks a tonne for giving me such a great compliment ( or maska :) ) that the ones around me are lucky. this is one of the best compliments i ever received :)
well even the ones close to me often say that i have a good heart but deep down i know that this brings sadness to me because i dont always get positive reciprocation of going out of the way and helping others but this doesnt stop me.
well i shall definitely try listen to your humble request to give considerable marks to the students as i am very miser in giving marks:)
First of all thanks a lot for your regular visits to my irregular blog :P. You know what before visiting this blog today..I made my mind to give you the suggestion about changing your blog template but see you read my mind and changed it already. You really are a psychiatrist..LOL.
And Gosh you got students :O. I always thought that you must be in some college ..haha.
Cool post..Expressed youself well. That's something I am yet to learn..Would read other posts also when I would be kinda free..Right now going to doze off...have to go office on weekend :-(.
Keep penning down..happy blogging...
@ pensativo
in that case i am truly a psychiatrist :)
yup i got students and i love them like anything:)
well thanks for appreciating my post.
expressing one self was something that i dindt do that well few months back but just become free and pen down watever comes to your mind and heart. thats it :)
happy blogging to you too:)
awesome.... i kinda feel likewise sometimes... but then again.. being a typical engineering student, i bought a book on psychology and havent even started reading it.... i guess some habits stick..!
may i ask u what u teach...?
@ the thinker
thanks
ya ths true some habits die hard
well, i teach english :)
Post a Comment