I really fail to understand why do people give such a detail answer to small and quick question like “how are you feeling today” (specially in the mornings) which should be answered like “ pretty good” or “fine” or if you are not so good say “ okay” or better say “ not so good but thanks for asking”. But alas ! some people somehow answer such small question in so much detail that the opposite person starts yawning at times.
Last week, as usual I was getting late for work and was almost running to reach on time and met a colleague who had his exams. Once I thought to rush pass quickly but then manners say I shouldn’t do so and thought to ask him out of courtesy that how was he and how he was performing in his exams. Now according to me in the morning when one can see that the person is getting to her work, such a question is to be answered like “ well they are going well or okay or fine or what ever adjective he wishes to use” but as I said some people don’t think so, he started a long explanation as to how two or three papers of his went and my god, I was in such a fix ,was already late and cant even show him bad face or cut off the conversation as it was me who had asked him. But that day learnt a good lesson that when late, just smile and say “good morning” but never to ask “ how are you????. This is the most deadliest question ever to ask to the people who can talk and talk and talk and talk.
One more such incident happened almost a year and a half back. I had an uncle of mine staying at our place from abroad and he was to stay for about 2 months as he had come for some treatment in India. It was I guess just his second day and in the morning he had woken up pretty early and was sitting at the dining table and I remember I was as usual late for going somewhere ( don’t really remember where but it was very important). I made tea for him and myself and sat with him to have tea at the table. Now, I thought to start the conversation first and as his health wasn’t keeping well, I asked him “uncle how are you feeling today, hope you had a good night sleep”. The answer to this question you wont believe lasted for an hour almost !!! . He started telling he was feeling okay and then took me back in the past from where his illness started , from his first doctor’s appointment and the first treatment till that date, he described me every thing in detail how much he suffered from his sickness and how many medicines he took and what not. And me, meekly listened everything. I certainly could not stand up and start moving from there as he is so elder to me. The lesson learnt there was not to drink tea with that uncle of mine ever (just joking) hahhaaaaaaa. But it was nice having him visit at our place and he got a good treatment and went happily back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
In both the examples, or rather incidents, you had guys...haan?
I can't take that.....grrrr....;(
Well, its usually girls jinka chabr chabr sunnanna padtha hai...
Hey hey...don't get angry, I was just kidding... :D
Yes, there are people who somehow find it difficult to restrict their conversation to the point, even though the situation calls for it.
Even I put to test the solution suggested by you, "Just have a plain and simple smile on your face." :P
I guess you met the persons who were waiting to speak their heart out to someone. People generally do that to kill their anxiety. I guess their talking was a big relief to them.
Sushant
@ abhinav
yes it is difficult to believe that both of them were guys.
i must tell here that guys too talk a lot but its just we poor girls are blamed for speaking more:)
@ sushant
yup u are right they were both relieved a lot after talking too much speciallt in the latter case of my uncle, he really felt good after sharing. but at times we musnt get carried away with emotions too much.
As they say, the great speaker is the one who stops speaking before the listeners stop listening:)
Post a Comment